I've been using cplay for close to ten years now. It
is a curses front-end to various audio players/decoders, and written
in Python. Sure, I've been
an Amarok fan for half that time,
but when I just want to hear some music I find my self opening a
terminal and starting cplay. I manage my music collection in Amarok, I
grab and listen new podcasts in Amarok. Sometimes I even use it to
play music, but not nearly as much as I do with cplay. I have 4
workstations at home, and they all do the same. Same thing with the
server connected to the best set of speakers. Sure, I have a remote
and Oxine there, but when
I just want to hear some music I don't want to spend 5 minutes messing
with the remote.
Through the years I added various small patches to my copy of cplay. They accumulated over time, and except for my color-support patch I didn't plan on sharing them. But in 2009 I found that the project page of cplay disappeared. I spent a year thinking it will pop-up, but it didn't. Then I noticed the Arch Linux package for cplay pulls the source from the Debian repositories, and realized it's not coming back.
I decided to publish my copy of cplay, so there exists yet another place where it's preserved. But as I'm not acting in any official role, nor do I consider my self a worthy coder to maintain cplay I decided to fork it and publish under a new name. That also gives me the excuse to drop anything I don't personally use, like gettext support. My project is called play, just play and the Git repository is now public, on git.sysphere.org. The first commit is an import of cplay-1.50pre7 from Ulf Betlehem, so if you're looking for that original copy you can grab it there.
Beside various bug fixes some of the more interesting new features are: color support, mplayer support, curses v5.8 support and pyid3lib support. Someone on IRC told me this week that they could never get cplay to work for them on Arch Linux, and they expressed interest in play. I decided to package it on AUR, and it's now available as play-git.